Thursday, May 15, 2014

New Family members

If your new to my blog, We have chickens. Last summer we hatched 6 eggs. We currently have two laying hens from those eggs, pretty amazing. Rosie and Valentine. They are Red Dorkings. Or Colored Dorkings.


Rosie in front, Valentine you can see her backside here. Shimmer and Sparkle are the black ones in the back.
 Shimmer and Sparkle are Black Americaunas

The girls run to the gate every time I come out and try to jump it.

Delicious home grown eggs. What could be better? I get light tan ones slightly pink, and a nice green blue color.
I think I told you that Shimmer and Sparkle were Christmas Gifts from some very special friends of ours. They have taught and given me so much. I don't know what I'd do with out them! Thanks Christina and Robert!

So, one night I was going out to put up the girls, into their coop, and lock them down so they don't get attacked by raccoons or possums. I upgraded the run also - fully enclosed it with chicken wire and PVC pipping, so now its more secure and things won't get in, hopefully.


And this little chicken is just roaming around the outside of my run! All by his lonesome self! I was shocked! Kevin (hubby) thought I bought a new one and said I found it, lol. So we scooped it up, put it in a cage inside the porch and posted pictures of him in my chicken group. They told me he was a friggin BALD EAGLE!! I panicked! Then I realized, nah, impossible. So we then decided it was indeed a chicken, after numerous amount of other bird predictions including a turkey...

Odd Ball when we first found him, when he was about 4-5 weeks old.
 He was lonely, So I went to get him some friends....Kevin wasn't so happy about it...

Odd Ball and his new friends.

Odd Balls new friends, Henny Penny (back right), Amelia Bedilia (front right), and Thelma and Louise (two left ones)

Henny Penny turned out to have a scissor beak, its just unaligned jaws. Hard for her to eat and drink, she is half the size of her sisters. She is being babied, gets special food, more love. She is a Buff Orpington. I forget what Amelia Bedilia is, something with a W, and the twins are Barred Rocks.

Now, remember the lovely Lavender Orpingtons I adopted back in December? Well they have grown up. They are beautiful!! Victor and Violet. Violet is not laying yet, but Victor has found his purpose in life, besides crowing. I can't wait to try my hand at hatching his biddies!!



Here are current Pictures of the newbies:

I think Odd Ball is some sort of Game Poultry

Amelia Bedilia is such a sweet girl, very friendly.



~Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Guys! Leave me a comment, I love reading them! But don't do it just to promote your own blog ;) !